illustrator / printmaker / designer
↠ S U F F O L K + S C O T L A N D ↠
I grew up wandering the woodlands and rugged coastline of Suffolk, so I have always been fascinated by the sights and rhythms of our natural world. Using the analogue printmaking techniques of letterpress and linocut as well as mixed media paintings and drawings, my prints, illustrations and poems explore our innate connection with the natural world.
I studied BA Illustration at the Cambridge School of Art (2017) where I spent much of my final year in the print rooms, and realised that I wanted to be a printmaker. I interned at letterpress printing establishments including Typoretum, UK (2017) and Hatch Show Print, USA (2016), gaining experience and honing my printing and design skills alongside a healthy appreciation for the heritage and contemporary context of letterpress printing. Over these years I built up a collection of various letterpress and linocut printing equipment, eventually creating my very own home print studio. Amidst the pandemic in 2020 I moved north to Edinburgh, and completed an MA in Illustration at the Edinburgh College of Art (2021). I am currently based in Suffolk but regularly travel back to Scotland to draw and explore its beautiful landscape; my greatest source of inspiration.
You can follow my inky (and not so inky!) adventures on Instagram, and watch this short film for a glimpse into my studio and work process, from sketchbook to print.
H A N N A H
F A R T H I N G
- ECA Graduate Show 2021, Edinburgh College of Art and online, Scotland (20th - 27th August)
- Glasgow Zine Fest with Screening Into The Void, Online/Glasgow, Scotland (1st - 30th April)
- Murray Collier, Edinburgh, Scotland (October-Present)
- Emerging Artisans, Artspace, Woodbridge, Suffolk, UK (19th - 24th December)
- Carousel Gallery, Framlingham, Suffolk, UK (23rd - 29th October)
- A Show Of Hands, Group Show, Corsham, Bath Spa University, UK (30th September - 19th October)
- Pop Up Solo Exhibition, Snape Maltings Gallery (1st September - 21st November)
- Emerging Suffolk Artisans, Group Show, Peter Pears Gallery, Aldeburgh, Suffolk, UK (16 - 25th October)
- Hannah Farthing Wall Takeover, Lady Norfolk & Lord Rust, Ipswich, Suffolk, UK
- Solo Exhibition, Applaud Coffee, Ipswich, Suffolk, UK (April - May)
- Solo Exhibition, The Fire Station Cafe, Woodbridge, Suffolk, UK (Feb - April)
- 'Printworks', Mill Tye Gallery,
Sudbury, Suffolk, UK (7 Oct - 26 Nov)
- New Designers: Part 2, Islington Business Design Centre, London, UK (5 - 8 July)
- The Bee's Knees, Cambridge School of Art Degree Show, Cambridge, UK (9 - 17 June)
- Pressing On: A Celebratory Exhibition, Hatch Show Print's Haley Gallery, Nashville, USA (27 May - 25 June)
- 'Hot From Seville', Ruskin Gallery, Cambridge School of Art, Cambridge, UK (13 Oct - 19 Nov)